Local railway company crests

Rail Around Birmingham
& the West Midlands

Rail Around Birmingham & the West Midlands

 

Bookmark and Share

Email Newsletter:

Name:

Email:

Subscribe 
Unsubscribe 

Sign-up for the free RAB newsletter to be informed of the latest site news and updates.


Rustic farmhouse dining tables, oak benches and handcrafted oak furniture.
www.diningtableandbenches.co.uk


Kings Norton station booking office
Station Menu
 
Railway News
 

Kings Norton Station

1849 - Present

Opening 1849, Kings Norton is one of the oldest stations on the Cross City Line on what was originally the Birmingham and Gloucester Railway's line from the South to Curzon Street via the Camp Hill route. With the coming of the BWSR's Kings Norton Extension in 1892 the station was expanded to three platforms and a level crossing that carried Station Road across the tracks was replaced by a footbridge, a large coal and goods yard was built with sidings for the adjacent Triplex Works and the station became a significant site in the region's railways. Built in 1978 during the reopening of the cross-city line, the current entrance and station building is pictured above in July 2003.

 
Kings Norton station footbridge and Pershore Road bridge
Kings Norton station looking South from footbridge

Above-left we can see the covered footbridge - the long walkway to the Station entrance is sited at the top of the staircase on the left-hand side up platform. This view also shows the disused island platform which is now heavily covered in bushes and small trees! Interesetingly, when originally built the station only had a double-track (being the set seen in the above-left image) thus the area which is now the island platform was at one time the up platform. Beyond the footbridge and the bridge carrying the Pershore Road is the branch to Lifford. Above-right we see the view from the footbridge at the southern-end of the station looking back towards Northfield: the area of land to the left being the old goods yard.

 
Original Midland Railway Kings Norton station
Kings Norton station old goods yard

Above-left we see the original, now demolished, station building boarded-up and roofless. To the extreme left of the shot you may just be able to make-out the Stationmaster's house: another survivor - it is now a private residence.Above-right a Virgin HST passes the site of the old goods yard which once housed coal wagons and later car transporters. Most of the track has been lifted but in the centre-right are two buffer-stops which are still rail connected although appearing rather disused. The goods yard is now divided into an overspill car park (where the photographer is standing) and 'Kings Norton On Track Plant Depot' which is the area seen in the photo.

 
Demolition in progress of the original Kings Norton station building
Demolition in progress of the original Kings Norton station building

Unfortunately, since my visit to Kings Norton to take photos for this page, Network Rail have decided that the time has come to demolish the old station building and as of 25/02/06, the bulldozers moved-in to clear the site. Above-left and right we see the partially demolished station building, soon to be absorbed into the car park.

 

MAP

 

Google
 
Web www.railaroundbirmingham.co.uk