Compton halt opened in 1925 in a bold, and somewhat myopic, move by the GWR to
turn what had been , in effect, a colliery line into a fully-blown passenger concern. Unfortunately for
the GWR the move failed and passenger services were withdrawn a mere 7 years later in 1932 although the line
lingered on for a somewhat flourishing goods trade until the 1960s. Above we
see the entrance to the halt from Bridgnorth Road. This section of the line forms part of a 'nature trail/walk'
with the signpost on the left of the entrance reading "Welcome to Smestow Valley Local Nature Reserve".
Above-left we have reached the trackbed and are looking towards Tettenhall with the halt
to our rear: ahead we see the parapet of the bridge carrying the line over Bridgnorth Road. Above-right we are
facing the opposite direction and can see that the platform has been preserved, and appears in near-perfect condition.
It should be borne in mind here that the line was single-track so this platform served both up and down
Above-left we are at the opposite end of the platform from Bridgnorth Road and are looking
at the line of the track towards Penn Halt. Above-right we have turned around to look at the platform from
the vantage point of the previous photograph and are looking in the direction of Tettenhall. It is good to see the site
preserved although there is little here, apart from the platform and Bridgnorth Road bridge, for those
interested in railway history.